Do you want to become a successful digital marketer? Are you inundated by the plethora of sites and information on the web and confused where to start? Then you are in luck today as you have stumbled upon the right page. This article covers the basics of marketing and few concepts that will guide you and clear your doubts.
Fundamentals of Marketing:
Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large (Source :AMA)
Marketing encompasses the strategies and tactics brands use to promote their products and services to consumers. Everything from market research to writing ad copy falls within the realm of marketing. Marketing starts even before creating a product. It starts with understanding the customer and customers’ needs that leads to creating a product that fits.
Marketing involves crafting stories, especially honest stories that resonate and spread. Marketers offer solutions, opportunities for humans to solve their problems and move forward. There is another type of marketing – the hype, scams and pressure that thrives on selfishness. It doesn’t work in the long run.
We remember the best one – the best for us.
According to Steve Jobs, “Marketing is about values. It’s a complicated and noisy world, and we’re not going to get a chance to get people to remember much about us. No company is. So we have to be really clear about what we want them to know about us.”
He was so right about Marketing. His products were not only iconic, but they’re also his legacy. The key to Jobs’ success is a combination of quality, innovation, and market strategies that were designed extremely carefully.
Marketing makes use of the “marketing mix,” also known as the four Ps—product, price, place, and promotion.
Importance of communication skills
Communication skills are crucial to be successful in marketing. Good communication doesn’t necessarily mean having outstanding vocabulary or grammar. It is how effectively you are able to transfer your thoughts to your clients/audience .
Tips to improve communication skills.
- Writing a lot. Try to write at least 250 words per day on a random topic. You will definitely see an improvement.
- Watching sitcoms and standup comedy shows, Tedex or famous personality interviews
- Reading a lot of books. Make it a habit to read at least 10-20 pages a day.
Traditional marketing vs digital marketing
Traditional marketing includes channels like billboards, newspapers, and radio. Digital marketing is the marketing process of building awareness and promoting a brand or product online using all available digital channels.
The advantages of digital marketing over traditional marketing are
1. Engaging : Digital marketing is more engaging when compared to traditional marketing.
2.Cost-effective : We can decide a budget and work with digital marketing.
3.Wider reach : With digital marketing, we can reach a wide range of audience globally and promote our business.
4.Targeted : Easy to reach targeted audience from all over the globe
5.Easy to measure and adjust : We can adjust our marketing campaign as we can easily measure the success
6.Two way communication is possible : Audiences can communicate with us through social media.
With the present corona pandemic , people prefer shopping from home rather than go to shops. I can’t stress enough on the fact that businesses that are online suffered less during this pandemic and the necessity of going online has never been more and has become a must for every business/ service, be it small or big. And every business needs a digital marketing strategy to make their brand well known and to sell their products. Digital marketing is blooming right now. Offering something of inherent value to your audience can take your marketing game to a whole new level.
One must identify their niche and know whom they are targeting .It may seem a little overwhelming to find one’s suitable niche but trust me, it can be easily identified by the following steps.
- Think about your interests and passions
- Solve problems for your audience
- Carry out competitor analysis
- Do keyword research
- Assess your niche
- Find your unique selling point
- Test your idea
The above picture depicts how by finding out what we are passionate about, identifying our talent, accessing the market can easily help us find our niche.
CATT Marketing Funnel
Wealth = n^ CATT
- (n) is Niche : your success and wealth depends on the niche you choose
- ( C ) is Content : create useful content that attracts people from your niche. Blog posts, videos , lead magnets , live webinars etc.
- (A) is Attention : Drive attention(traffic) to your content using SEO , social media , paid ads and referrals
- (T) is Trust : Build trust with your audience with trip wires, marketing automation and retargeting.
Integrated Digital Marketing
Integrated digital marketing is a method of engaging customers and prospects with your company or brand that combines all parts of marketing communications to work together and assist the customer along their journey of awareness to loyalty and advocacy.
Integrated digital marketing communications include advertising, sales promotion, public relations, direct marketing, and social media as well as customer support and customer relationship management. Digital marketing strategies rely on all the tactics, methodologies, channels, media, and tools to work together toward a defined goal that is centered on the client or customer needs.
Personal Branding :MassTrust Blueprint
Personal branding refers to the process of establishing your public persona for your target audience . It helps you stand out from the crowd , leading to opportunities. It allows you to build trust with clients.
Evolution of personal brand:
- Learn : Learning a new skill. Remember the facts and practise the procedure.
- Work : Working on the new skill learnt and implementing it in the real world.
- Blog : Writing a blog about what you have learnt and experienced through work.
- Consult: Start Consulting other businesses
- Mentor : Mentoring others who want to become like you will help you increase your understanding to a whole new level.
- Startup : Start your own product or service or an app.
With the present corona pandemic , people prefer shopping from home rather than go to shops. I can’t stress enough on the fact that businesses that are online suffered less during this pandemic and the necessity of going online has never been more and has become a must for every business/ service, be it small or big. And every business needs a digital marketing strategy to make their brand well known and to sell their products. Digital marketing is blooming right now. If done properly, then Sky is your limit. Offering something of inherent value to your audience can take your marketing game to a whole new level. In conclusion, Marketing is not just flogging product but it’s serious organization and planning.
For more articles related to marketing, Check below:
- Priti is a mental health professional who helps you to get over issues related to the mind and body, relationships, health , business and career. She has written a wonderful article on “Cyber Psychology: Importance of Ethical Practices in Digital Marketing” https://www.soberecover.com/post/cyber-security
- Ruchir Raut is an aspiring blogger and Digital Entrepreneur . He writes articles on helping people Digital Marketing & Technology. Check out his article on Getting started with Digital marketing.
- For sales jobs and business opportunities , check this article
- Abdul Azees is a freelance content writer and copywriter. He writes articles, magazines, blogs, and sales copy for Entrepreneurs, startups, and business owners. Check out his article on marketing. https://abdulazees.com/breaking-down-the-myths-of-marketing/